Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Saturday, November 23, 2013

Holly Leaves & Button Berries


 
We're heading into the last month before the holiday season and I'm still making cards for my Christmas mailing list. The Festive Friday Blog has been a great inspiration for colour schemes and themes and this week the challenge was to choose one of the 22 previously described challenges. I love the traditional colours of the holidays, so I chose the colour challenge using red, green and gold.

When Papertrey Ink came out with the die collection for Holiday Button Bits, I was excited to add this stamp set and dies to my 'collection' last year. 


* The large holly image was stamped with Memento: Cottage Ivy ink onto Rustic White card stock.
* The sentiment (Holiday Wishes) was stamped with Versamark and heat embossed with red EP.  
* The postmark stamp (2010 Holiday Tags) was stamped with black ink.

* A border stamp (Postmarks) was added to the bottom with Cottage Ivy and Pure Poppy inks. When I was stamping, an extra ink spoltch appeared on the edge of my card front. My solution? I took the small stamps included in Watercolour Wonder and stamped them around three edges of the card. 
* This panel was attached to a green mat and then a Rustic White card base.

* I stamped the leaves directly onto the card front, die cut three leaves and stamped them on the front and back with the matching stamp. I stitched them to the card front along the center and then curled up the edges to give them lots of dimension. 
* Three red buttons, accented with red embroidery floss, were positioned at the base of the leaf trio. Gold adhesive pearls were also added around the focal image.

* The holly border (CTMH: December Word Puzzle) was stamped with Cottage Ivy;  red 'berries' were added with a red metallic pen.
* The sentiment (Holiday Wishes) was stamped with Pure Poppy ink.

Card Details  (PTI, unless noted)
Stamps - Holiday Button Bits, 2010 Holiday Tags, Postmarks, Holiday Wishes, Watercolor Wonder;  December Word Puzzle (Close To My Heart)
Inks - Smokey Shadow, Pure Poppy;  Memento Cottage Ivy; Versamark
Paper - Rustic White,  Stamper's Select White; Recolllections: Green,
Other Supplies -  Martha Stewart: Ladybug Embossing Powder; red buttons, embroidery floss, red metallic pen, brass adhesive dots, sewing machine

Thanks for visiting today. 
Karen C.

4 comments:

Ardyth said...

Love the little pops of gold amongst the red and green - this is a beautifully classic Christmas card! Thanks for joining us at Festive Friday! Merry Christmas - hope to see you again in 2014!

Meredith MacRitchie said...

This is so fun - I love that you used the postmarks set for some of your details, too! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Festive Friday!

Geri said...

Beautiful design for those traditional colors, Karen! Thanks so much for joining us and we sure hope you'll join us again next year!!!

Karen M said...

Karen, this is a super postcard! The colours really suit this card. You and I used the same colours!