Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Thursday, August 1, 2013

Summertime Flip Flops

     I have several colours and styles of flip flops and wear them all summer long, so when I saw Papertrey Ink's Flip Flop Die Collection last year I knew that it would be fun to have these dies for summertime projects.  
     I used pink, yellow, orange and green polka dot papers from a Bo Bunny paper pad to cut and assemble seven sets of flip flops, before I even knew what I was going to make!!  Two sets were used for today's card, two sets for this anniversary card (Make It Monday #127) and I still have three sets left!! I haven't decided how to use those extras yet!!

* I liked the idea of the flip flops hanging on a clothesline, so I started with a blue patterned background paper (Recollections) to resemble the sky. To add more interest I stamped it with Polka Dot Basics (bottom portion with Simply Chartreuse; top portion with Spring Rain).
* The clothesline (Waltzingmouse Stamps), sentiment (Close To My Heart) and ribbon (Mini Blooms) were stamped with Rich Cocoa ink.
* The flip flips were "pinned" to the clothesline. (clothespins - Hanging Out).
* The card front was attached to a mat of Harvest Gold card stock and Dark Chocolate card base.

Inside View
* I used some of the same colours and elements to decorate the inside of the card. Two large banners were cut with Nested Pennants (Spellbinders) and stamped with polka dots from Off Beat Backgrounds (WMS).  
* The next layer is a 2 1/2" Limitless Layers Circle, stamped with more polka dots and a sentiment circle from Free Spirit (CTMH). The Swiss Dots embossing folder gives some extra texture.


* The center circle was stamped with a sentiment from Express Postage (CTMH) and decorated with a the flower die (Flip Flop dies) and leaves (Mini Blooms). Sparkle dots were used to decorate the centers of the flowers on the flips flops and the interior. Not sure who will receive this  - it could make a fun card for an anniversary or birthday card!

Card Details:  (PTI, unless noted)
Stamps - Polka Dot Basics, Mini Blooms, Hanging Out;   Close To My Heart: Free Spirit, Express Postage; Waltzingmouse Stamps: Bitty Banners, Off Beat Backgrounds
Inks -   Spring Rain, Simply Chartreuse, Blueberry Sky, Harvest Gold; Memento Rich Cocoa
Papers -  Dark Chocolate, Harvest Gold; Bo Bunny Double Dot Paper Pad (6"x6"); 
Recollections: Light Blue Distressed  
Dies -  Flip Flop Dies; Mini Blooms;  Limitless Layers 2 1/2" Circles; Speellbinders: Nested Pennants
Other - Cuttlebug Swiss Dots Embossing folder; Stampendous: Sparkle Dots
     
Some "Extra"  Flip Flops
I used one of the flower dies from Mini Blooms to create the little 'star fish' accents. All the straps on these flip flops were cut with Vintage Cream card stock and then impressed with the Simple Stripes Impression Plate. 

I'm still working on a design plan to use these 'leftovers'.  
What would you make with paper Flip Flops?

    
Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C.

1 comment:

Leigh Penner said...

Oh, I love the flip flops hanging on the line, Karen! So sweet! And I LOVE that sentiment!