Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Monday, August 26, 2013

SAF #2: Tea Stained Flower Tag


 Tea-staining
 
My finished flower

Several Design Team members provided videos for staining fabric and/or paper to create unique coloured embellishments. Melissa Phillips showed us how to use tea to stain cotton muslin and then use it for a a rustic looking flower.  I decided to stain two pieces of fabric- one a plain cotton muslin and the other with a print fabric scrap that I had in my fabric scraps. 



 
 #1: Boiling the fabric in Tea

A close-up view of the fabrics with several tea bags and some loose tea.
   


#2: Rinsing 
Once I took the fabric out of the water, I realized the loose tea was NOT
good idea. It took a bit of rinsing to get rid of all of those 'bits and pieces'!!  

#3: Fabric Choices
 Original fabric - on the left; tea-stained fabric - on the right. 
The stained fabric really looks like the colour of a paper bag, so  I'm going 
to make a gift bag with this piece. I decided to use the printed fabric below 
for my flower, and I think together they will make a nice set for gift giving.

The tea really changed the characteristics of the fabric. The 'white' print on 
the original fabric now has a pinky/purple tint to it and is very noticeable.
 
#4: My "Melissa" Inspired Tag



Tag Details (PTI, unless noted)
Stamps - Peaceful Pinecones, To You From Me 
Papers - Kraft. Pure Poppy
Dies - Beautiful Blooms #1, Heart-2-Heart #7, Lovely Layers, Tag Sale #4, 
 Limitless Layers: 2 1/2" Circles
Other Supplies - Aida Impression Plate, Adhesive cork; cotton muslin;  
Close To My Heart: burlap ribbon; red/cream gingham; red button/embroidery floss

Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C.

No comments: