Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Sunday, January 20, 2013

MIM #100: Packaging Cards with Oversized Embellishments

Papertrey Ink's "Make It Monday" videos are always such an inspiration. I haven't played along for a while, but had time today to get inky.  Dawn McVey showed a variety of ways to package some of those cards that just don't fit neatly into a regular envelope. She challenged us to create a unique packaging for such a card. You can view her video here.
I've had this card in my stash for a while, so thought I would try to make a specialty envelope for it. The bow and three pink beads add some thickness to the card that would make it a little 'lumpy' to send in a regular envelope. I often send these types of cards in padded envelopes, but today I have a different idea for this one!!
  I posted the full details for this card here. 

Here's the "envelope"
Envelope Front
PTI Supplies 
Card stock - Autumn Rose & Rustic White
Ink - Autumn Rose; Fancy Flourishes stamps
From my stash
2 doilies; green satin ribbon; white gel pen; 
EK Success: Dotted Scallop border punch
Envelope Back

Here's how I made it: 
I started with a piece of 6" x 10 1/4" card stock. I scored it at
 2 1/8" & 2 1/4"                6 5/8" & 6 3/4".
The bottom was scored at 3/8" & 1/2". 
These score lines allow for the extra thickness of the card details. 
If you have a thicker card, you could adjust these measurements as necessary.
I then cut the two front sections along one of the bottom score lines.

I folded along all of the score lines and then added the 
doilies, stamping, faux stitching and border details.

Once the card was placed inside, the bottom flap was folded 
up to hold it in place and then the ribbon/bow was added. 

Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C.

1 comment:

Emma said...

Great card Karen. Thanks for the step by step on the packaging too, very good idea.