Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Monday, October 1, 2012

Racing Car Birthday

My niece's son celebrated his 2nd birthday this summer with a "racing car" theme. I didn't have a racing car stamp, but decided to do a search for free images on the internet. 

* I found a racing car on a site for free colouring book images; re-sized it and then printed it on white Bella card stock so that I could use my copic markers.


* The image was fussy cut and mounted on the Label Basics Angled die cut. The frame was stamped with Pure Poppy and the panel was embossed with the Wood grain Impression Plate for a bit of dimension.
* The fire image (Boy Basics: Out of This World) was stamped and then coloured with copic markers, before being tucked underneath the back of the racing car. The sentiment is from the same set.
* The card base (Stamper's Select White) was stamped with Sunny Yellow (Close To My Heart). Yellow stitching creates a frame along the outside edge. 
* The stamped black and white checker board strip (Waltzingmouse Stamps) makes me think of an image you would see at a race track. I stitched around this panel with black thread before mounting it onto the front of the card.
* Two red buttons with yellow embroidery floss are the finishing details.

I did a lot of experimenting with colours and details and I'm really pleased with the final results. Definitely a fun boy's card!!

 Inside
I always like to add some fun details to the inside of the card. I carried through the colour scheme by stamping the sentiments in red and black and adding the yellow stamped stars and the larger yellow die cut. The green "2" celebrates the birthday boy's age!!

Card Details: (PTI, unless noted)
Stamps -  Polka Dot Basics, Boy Basics: Out of This World, Label Basics, Big Birthday Wishes; Fillable Frames #1, Love Lives Here: Holiday , Waltzingmouse: Off Beat Backgrounds
Inks -  Pure Poppy, Memento Tuxedo Black; CTMH:  Sunny Yellow
Papers - Stamper's Select White;  Bella: White; yellow and green scrap card stock
Dies - Boy Basics: Out of This World die collection,  Seeing Stars, Label Basics Angled Die collection, Block Alphabet Numbers
Other Supplies - copic markers; red buttons; sewing machine; yellow embroidery floss;  3-D Dots

Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C.

6 comments:

Terri said...

Very cute. Love the inside too.

carol (krillsister) said...

Awesome card. Great job coloring the race car. Love how you have the fire coming out the back.

Anonymous said...

Great cards. TFS

Leigh Penner said...

Oh,this is great! I'm sure he'll love it!

Anne B said...

Great idea to look for some images online - that's something I always forget to do. Love the way you finish the inside of your cards - really nice touch!

Kelly Griglione said...

Love this, and how you did the inside too! Great job with the fussy cutting!