Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Saturday, June 9, 2012

It's a Jungle: MIM #69


Nichole Heady from Papertrey Ink challenged us to create a card or paper crafting project using one of the inspiration picture and co-ordinating card sketches from this week's Make It Monday video. You can view  MIM #69 video  here. 
I find card sketches very difficult to do, and initially couldn't figure out a way to make a card using the sketches provided.  So many of them seem to incorporate flowers or floral embellishments .... not really what I wanted on a "masculine card"!!

This card is going to be for Father's Day and since I hadn't used  It's a Jungle for a while I decided to try the giraffe stamp and die.  Once I found a double sided paper (Echo Park: hello SUMMER!), everything seemed to fall into place. I used the sketch from the video and colours inspired by the paper.

Sketch-4

I wanted the giraffe to look like he was 'eating' leaves, so I used Turning a New Leaf  and played around with the placement of the stamps and giraffe die.


The yellow chevron pattern complemented the colour of the giraffe and works for the front. When folded back, the polka dot pattern frames the giraffe image. I decided to use the various colours from this side of the paper and stamped  three different sizes of polka dots (Polka Dot Basics) around the leaves, as though they were little berries or flowers. Harvest Gold ink was used to sponge all of the edges of the patterned paper.

The sentiments (It's a Jungle) were stamped and cut into 3 strips and then attached with foam dimensionals. A green button, tied with scrapper's floss finishes the front.

When I was stamping the leaves on the card front, some of the images overlapped onto the back, so I decided to keep on stamping to create a decorative back (and it helped cover a few smudges too!!)


"Happy Father's Day" (CTMH: Say It In Style) and sentiments from Movers & Shakers Sentiments were stamped on the inside of the card.  The leaves and polka dots from the front of the card were repeated here as well.  (This was done after I saw a few more ink smudges .....  I seem to be a very messy stamper today!!)

Card Details: PTI unless noted)
Stamps - It's a Jungle, Turning a New Leaf,  Polka Dot Basics, Mover's & Shakers Sentiments; 
Close To My Heart: Say It In Style
Inks - Spring Moss, Berry Sorbet, Harvest Gold, Canyon Clay, Smokey Shadow; SU: Pool Party
Papers - Stamper's Select White; Echo Park: hello SUMMER
Dies - It's a Jungle
Other - SU Fresh Favorites I button;  Karen Foster: Scrapper's Floss; foam dimensionals

Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C..

4 comments:

Luanne said...

This is so fun! Love the giraffe. Wouldn't it be cute done in pastels for a baby card too? Great card!

Tracy said...

very nice card - and you know I especially love that you stamped the inside - I hardly ever do and I always mean to but I sooo often run out of time - its such a nice combo of the M&S and those pretty leaves

Taheerah said...

Love this funky card Karen, but I love the inside even more! Really well executed!!

Thanks for leaving some love on my blog! I truly appreciate it!! Good luck for when you try your fabric project!!

Lorraine said...

This is wonderful, Karen! I love the sentiments inside too!