Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Monday, November 8, 2010

Birthday Boys -Maple Leaf Style

Hello again! I still have a few cards to show from my husband's birthday in October. These are cards that my two sons gave him for his birthday.

Hockey is a very popular sport in our city - lots of NHL players hail from Thunder Bay - we've had Stanley Cup visits for three years with various hometown boys - Eric Staal from the Carolina Hurricanes, Jordan Staal from the Pittsburgh Penguins and Patrick Sharpe from the Chicago Blackhawks

BUT.....my DH is a life long die hard fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team. From September to May, the television is tuned into the TML hockey games - in hopes that they will make the Stanley Cup playoffs.  The colours of blue and white are always a good starting point for a card for my DH... then throw in some maple leaf images and he's a happy guy!!


The first card uses a C.C.Design stamp called  Balloon Trevor.The base of the card uses Rustic cream card stock and has been stamped with PTI's Polka Dot Basics I and a border of maple leaves.

Trevor was stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black onto white card stock and coloured with copic markers, before cutting the image out. I also paper pieced the shirt for some added pattern. The balloon was stamped on white card stock, cut out and applied to the original stamped image. A punched maple leaf in blue was added to the balloon and Crystal Effects was painted on for a glossy accent.  


The blue argyle patterned paper behind the image was used for some contrast. The birthday sentiment was added with a vertical stamp. Finally, I used a piece of PTI's Pure Poppy baker's twine and tied it around a piece of blue and white striped ribbon.

On the inside of the card I used three 'tickets' and sentiments from PTI's Just the Ticket. I love this set - it's so versatile. for added contrast, I mounted  each of them on blue card stock.

Card Details:
Stamps: C.C. Designs: Balloon Trevor; Studio g: leaf border; Close to My Heart Happy Birthday Sentiments;  PTI: Polka Dot Basics I, Just the Ticket
Inks: Memento Tuxedo Black; Close to My Heart Cranberry, Moonstruck Blue.
Paper: Rustic Cream; white, blue card stock; patterned paper from my stash.
Other Supplies:  copic markers; Crystal Effects;  maple leaf punch; PTI Just the Ticket Die; Pure Poppy Baker's Twine; blue striped ribbon;  corner rounder punch;




The second card uses Autumn Trevor image, stamped,  coloured and cut out as I did above. 
I used a Cuttlebug folder to create the swirls on the shimmery grey cardstock (I think it looks like ice).  The punched maple leaf, the blue semi circle and the red/white line represents center ice. The small red dots are from Stamping Bella.

The birthday sentiment has been stamped on white card stock, and then matted on a small circle of blue card stock.





 


A white card stock panel was stamped with a sentiment from Close to My Heart, faux stitching was done with a blue marker and another maple leaf was added to the corner. 




Card Details:
Stamps: C.C. Designs: Autumn Trevor; Close to My Heart Happy Birthday Sentiments & September Word Puzzle.
Inks: Memento Tuxedo Black; Close to My Heart Red &  Moonstruck Blue.
Paper: white, blue card stock;Brazzill Grey Shimmer card stock.
Other Supplies:  copic markers;  maple leaf punch; Cuttlebug embossing folder; Stamping Bella dots.

 

I have lots of projects to come - just have to find the time to upload and edit some pictures!! 
Have a great day! See you Soon! 

3 comments:

sillyleann said...

I really like the colors you used. Awesome job coloring the boys. I adore the striped shirt you paper pieced on the first one.

Keva said...

This is so cute! I like the colors and the image is sweet.

BethieJ said...

Karen what GREAT birthday cards.. FABULOUS coloring job!!
Have a WONDERFUL day!